Implement FreeBSD runc with the help of Jail
Hongjiang Zhang via freebsd-jail
2017-07-07 02:05:52 UTC
Hi, all

Recently, I explored the possibility to implement a FreeBSD runtime (based on Jail) for opencontainers/runc. I have an experimental implementation of FreeBSD runc, which supports some of runc commands now.

Welcome any comments.

https://github.com/clovertrail/runc/tree/1501-SupportOnFreeBSD

Thanks
Hongjiang Zhang
Jov
2017-07-07 02:39:51 UTC
Great!
I am trying to maintain and update the docker-freebsd port, I think maybe
it is easer to catch up the docker upstream if runc support FreeBSD.

Jov

Alexander Leidinger
2017-07-10 10:10:18 UTC
Post by Hongjiang Zhang via freebsd-jail
Hi, all
Recently, I explored the possibility to implement a FreeBSD runtime
(based on Jail) for opencontainers/runc. I have an experimental
implementation of FreeBSD runc, which supports some of runc commands
now.
Welcome any comments.
https://github.com/clovertrail/runc/tree/1501-SupportOnFreeBSD
If I read this correctly, this implements FreeBSD native binaries in
the container. Did you experiment with a linux distribution inside
instead of FreeBSD? When the linux kernel module is loaded (or build
into the kernel), having a pure linux userland in a jail should work
too (I never tried it, but in case of issues I would like to see the
error messages, as I don't see a reason why this shouldn't work
(except the userland needs a syscall which is not implemented, but
Cent OS 6/7 should work as we use it for linux_base ports)).

Bye,
Alexander.
--
http://www.Leidinger.net ***@Leidinger.net: PGP 0x8F31830F9F2772BF